Interlibrary Loan

Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services can provide you with books, journal articles, videos and recordings that are unavailable in our library. After you have identified an item that you need, select one of the following options for placing your request:

  • If you need a book, video or recording which is available at another UW campus library, use Search@UW.  Limit your search to UW System Books & Media, find the item you'd like and click "Get It."  Then "Sign in" and click "UW Colleges Request" (if available) or "UW System Request."
  • If you need a book, video or recording which is not available at another UW campus library, use the ILLiad system.
  • If you need a journal or magazine article (regardless of where it's available), also use the ILLiad system.
  • If you don't know your 10-digit ID number/barcode requested by these systems, please contact UW-Sheboygan library staff. (It can also be found on the bottom of your UW-Sheboygan ID card if you have one. ID cards can be obtained from the campus Solution Center.)

How long does it take to get an item?

Usually about 2 to 7 business days.  Materials available at UW campus libraries will usually arrive within 2 to 4 days. You will be notified via email when your item arrives.

How long can you use an item?

Copies of journal articles are sent (usually electronically) for you to keep. Books and AV items are usually available for your use for 2 to 4 weeks. One-time renewals are usually possible -- you can request a renewal by going into the system you used to place the initial request (Search @UW or ILLiad). Please return items to us by the assigned due dates; you will be responsible for any overdue fines.

How many items can you request?

We don't currently enforce a strict limit on the number of items you can request, though an upper limit of 5 or 6 items per research paper may seem reasonable for students. Carefully review the information you have about books or journal articles before you request them, to ensure that the material will be helpful when received.

Who can use ILL?

Our ILL services are limited to current UW-Sheboygan students, faculty and staff -- except that community patrons are also welcome to request books or AV items from the other two-year UW Colleges Libraries. Community patrons can access more complete interlibrary loan services through their local public library.