Faculty/Staff Tech Resources

Technology How-To Videos

Tech FAQs for Faculty/Staff

How do I log onto a campus computer for the first time?

When you log onto a campus computer for the first time you may need the help of an IT staff member. This is also an excellent time to get your Outlook and printers setup. Please send an email to shbIT@uwc.edu stating your name, that you are a new faculty/staff member, when you are going to be on campus, and what your office number is. The IT Dept. will then setup an appointment to meet you in your office and get everything ready for you.

What should I do if my computer is giving me problems?

Contact the IT Helpdesk at 459-4422 or x4422 for immediate assistance or by email at shbIT@uwc.edu for more in-depth problems.

What should I do if I have problems with my phone or voicemail?

Please contact the Helpdesk at shbIT@uwc.edu and indicate in as much detail as possible what your problem is.

Where should I save my files?

You should always save your files to the My Documents folder or Z Drive on your computer. If you save your files to the desktop, if/when your hard drive crashes they will be lost. You might also save your files to a flash drive. The best practice is the always have a backup of your files to avoid loss if something were to go wrong.

How can I get programs installed on campus computers?

A: Please email the IT Helpdesk at shbIT@uwc.edu to request the installation of the program. Please indicate what the program is, whether you have the media to install it or it is a web-based install, and when you need it installed by. The IT Dept. will install it for you as soon as possible.

What should I do if I encounter a technology problem during class?

Please call 459-4422 or x4422 from any campus phone. Please indicate which room you are in and an IT staff member will come down to take a look. Also remember that there are how-tos in each of the classrooms that include instructions for how to solve common problems. If they don't yield a solution don't hesitate to call the IT Helpdesk.

Where can I get help with learning about basic computer programs?

Please send an email to shbIT@uwc.edu with a request stating which program you would like to learn more about and we will set up an appointment with you to train you on the program. Please keep in mind that we may not be that familiar with specialty software, but we will do our best to help you.

What should I do if I am teaching in a classroom with technology that I am not comfortable with?

Please send an email to shbIT@uwc.edu to set up an appointment with a member of the IT staff to have a technology walk-through. A technology walk-through consists of an IT staff member showing you how the system works in your room and answering any additional questions you might have. In your email, please indicate what room you will be teaching in and any special concerns you might have.

How can I checkout additional equipment?

The IT Dept has other portable equipment that may be checked out by faculty and staff members. Contact the IT Department for additional information.

What do I need to know about email?

Faculty/staff members have the ability to use both Outlook 2010 and Office 365 to access their email. Outlook 2010 is installed on all office computers on campus, but is not located on any instructor computers on campus. This means that you will need to utilize Office 365 on any computer that is not in our office. This includes instructor, conference room, and off-campus computers. Office 365 can be accessed through the Email tab on the main page of this website.

If you are new to campus you will need to have Outlook setup for you on your office computer. Please email the Helpdesk at shbIT@uwc.edu to request an appointment.

How do I gain access to the printers/copiers on campus?

Please email the Helpdesk at shbIT@uwc.edu to request the installation of printers on your office computer. You must be present and logged in to have them installed. If you would like to be connected to a copier you must also know your copier code. This code must also be entered when making copies locally on the copier. You can obtain your department's copier code by contacting Business Services.

What do I do if a printer is out of supplies?

Email the Helpdesk at shbIT@uwc.edu stating which printer is out of supplies and of what supply it is out of. Supplies that the IT department will replace include toner, fussers, imaging drums, transfer rollers, and staples for the LR faculty copier.

What else do I need to know about printing on campus?

There are numerous printers and copiers on campus available for your needs. The main printers/copiers used by faculty and staff are located in the mail room, student services, and the faculty workroom in Learning Resources. Each of these locations has a copier, while the faculty workroom also features a Dell Color 3110cn printer and a HP T770 plotter.

If you are new to campus or would like to gain access to these resources, please contact the Helpdesk.

Don't see your question answered here? Please contact the Helpdesk at shbIT@uwc.edu for more information.