The University of Wisconsin-Sheboygan bestowed honors and scholarships at the 2017 Honors Convocation ceremony on Tuesday, May 9 in the Fine Arts theatre. Dr. Thomas Campbell, Assistant Professor of Communications-Theatre Arts and recipient of the 2016 Teacher of the Year award was the keynote speaker.
Faculty and staff recognition included:
- UW-Sheboygan Teaching Award – Sherri Byrand, Senior Lecturer, English
- Arthur Kaplan Outstanding Teacher – Dr. Mark Schmitz, Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences
- Barrett-Scherff Instructional Academic Staff Recognition Award - Gary Johnson, Senior-Lecturer, Business-Economics
- Faculty Distinguished Service Award - Dr. William Dirienzo, Assistant Professor, Astronomy/Physics
- Staff Distinguished Service Award - Synde Kraus, Associate Lecturer, Mathematics
Student recognitions included Class of 2017 Graduate of the Year recognition to Michaela Possley of Cedar Grove. A graduate of Cedar Grove-Belgium High School, Michaela plans to transfer to UW-Oshkosh this fall, to complete her bachelor's degree in both marketing and finance, with a minor in mathematics Her career goal is to be a market research analyst or a financial analyst.
James Dean of Adell, received the Class of 2017 Valedictorian honors. James has served the campus by assisting students with account questions in the Business Office, giving tours, and helping with campus events. After completing his Associate Degree with UW-Sheboygan mid-year, he is now attending UW-Whitewater majoring in Accounting with a minor in Media Art & Game Design. His career goals are to work as a Financial Advisor.
STUDENT RECOGNITION AWARDS (Student of the Year for each department):
Accounting: Michaela Possley, Cedar Grove
English: Alyssa Kirsch, Sheboygan
History: Ty Murray, Sheboygan
Music: William DeBlaey, Cedar Grove; Mark Lawrence, Sheboygan
Political Science: Maitzeng Chang, Sheboygan; Dan Levan, Elkhart Lake
Psychology: Meghann Weeden, Sheboygan
Theatre: Brittany Schneider, Glenbeulah and Dakota Ortiz, Sheboygan (First –Year Theatre)
Engaging Students in the First Year Award: Ryan Hafeman, Oostburg; Mikayla Mork, Sheboygan; Anna Polasky, Sheboygan; Rachel Rice, Oostburg
Phi Theta Kappa, the honor society on campus, recognized the following new members: Sean Duncan, Sheboygan; Chelsea Goakey, Sheboygan Falls; Mikayla Mork, Sheboygan; Pa Thao, Sheboygan; and Bee Yang, Sheboygan. Assistant Professor of Political Science, Dr. Alise Coen who serves as advisor for PTK, presented the honors.
Elizabeth Braden, President of the UW-Sheboygan Foundation Board presented scholarships to UW-Sheboygan students who will be continuing their studies in the fall, including:
- Alliant Energy Scholars Award: Mikayla Mork, Sheboygan
- Alan B. Breirather Memorial Scholarship: Haleigh Brickey, Sheboygan
- George & Jane Cleary Memorial Scholarship (2 awards): Anna Polasky, Sheboygan; Pa Thao, Sheboygan
- James Hedit Earth Science: Andrea Mehre, Oostburg
- Jacob C. Hilperthauser Memorial Award: Pa Thao, Sheboygan
- Emily Hughes Memorial Scholarship: Arianna Vorpahl, Sheboygan
- JACMJ Scholarship (3 awards): Makenna Gilhuher, Cascade; Sara Kroneck, Sheboygan Falls, Rachel Rice, Oostburg
- Kohler Company Engineering Scholarship (2 awards): Ian Goakey, Sheboygan Falls; Josh Janezick, Plymouth
- Barrett Scherff Life Sciences: Coopheng Thao, Sheboygan
- Sheboygan Service Foundation (3 awards): Makenna Gilhuber, Cascade; Sara Kroneck, Sheboygan Falls; Pa Thao, Sheboygan
- South East Asian Club Scholarship: Pa Thao, Sheboygan
- UW-Sheboygan Foundation Education Grants (10 awards): Makenna Gilhuber, Cascade; Kabao K. Hang, Sheboygan; Sara Kroneck, Sheboygan Falls; Andrea Mehre, Oostburg; Mikayla Mork, Sheboygan; Evan Platz, Sheboygan; Anna Polasky, Sheboygan; Rachel Rice, Oostburg; Owen Vihos-Hoover, Sheboygan; Meghann Weeden, Sheboygan
- Wagner Scholars (4 awards): Shawn Blindauer, Sheboygan; Matthew DeMaster, Oostburg; Maria Gilipsky, Sheboygan
Richard Balge, Vice-President of the UW-Sheboygan Foundation Board presented five transferring scholarship awards to James Dean, Adell; Madelyn Faust, Kiel; Alyssa Kirsch, Sheboygan; Michaela Possley, Cedar Grove; and Josh Schulz, Sheboygan.
Paul Gedlinski, Interim Director of Admissions, presented three UW-Oshkosh scholarships to Ashley Miller, Sheboygan; Michaela Possley, Cedar Grove; and Josh Schulz, Sheboygan.
UW-Sheboygan’s outstanding athletes were also recognized at the event, with awards presented for men’s basketball, men’s golf, women’s volleyball, men’s and women’s tennis and co-ed soccer. Two coaches were also recognized. William Greenwood, Men’s Basketball head coach, received the WCC Coach of the Year award and Bill Munns, Men’s and Women’s tennis coach, received the UW-Sheboygan Athletics Distinguished Staff award.
In Men’s basketball, Coach Greenwood presented a Wisconsin Collegiate Conference (WCC) Distinguished Academic All-Conference award to Evan Platz, Sheboygan and a WCC Honorable Mention All-Conference award to Nate Serketich, Sheboygan and Kortu Josiah, Oostburg. T.J. Pitsch, Sheboygan received the Max Sparger Scholar Athlete Award as well as WCC Player of the Year, Academic All-Conference award and WCC First-Team All-Conference award.
In Women’s volleyball, Coach Raunio presented Autumn Weimann, Sheboygan with the WCC First-Team All Conference and Academic All-Conference award. Josie Harvey, Sheboygan received the Distinguished Academic All-Conference award. In addition, Jessica Crist, Cedar Grove, Sara Kelly, Sheboygan and Ashley Miller received the Academic All-American award.
Kao Vang, Head Soccer coach presented the Distinguished Academic All-Conference award to Nic Landazuri, Sheboygan and Owen Vihos-Hoover, Sheboygan. Receiving the Academic All-Conference awards were Josh Morales, Cedar Grove and Abrham Torres, Sheboygan.
In Men’s Golf, Matt Raunio, Head Coach, presented the Distinguished Academic All-Conference award to Layne Gustafson, Sheboygan. Academic All-Conference awards went to Ryan Halverson, Kohler and T.J. Pitsch, Sheboygan. The UW-Sheboygan golf team won the WCC championship. Members include: Layne Gustafson, Sheboygan; Ryan Halverson, Kohler; Tyler Hollis, Sheboygan; Sam Marti, Sheboygan Falls; Ian McKinch, Plymouth; T.J. Pitsch, Sheboygan and Jake Shovan, Elkhart Lake.
Bill Munns, Tennis coach, presented Sabrina Grube, West Bend with the WCC Distinguished Academic All-Conference Award and Arianna Vorpah, Sheboygan with the Academic All-Conference award.
Nic Landazuri, Sheboygan received the Distinguished Academic All-Conference award for men’s tennis. Academic All-Conference awards in tennis went to Ryan Gallagher, Cascade, Robert Grady, Cleveland and T.J. Pitsch, Sheboygan.
UW-Sheboygan is located at One University Drive in Sheboygan. The campus offers freshman and sophomore college classes in over 250 majors, taught by experienced faculty. Thanks to generous community scholarship support and the lowest tuition in the UW System, area students receive affordable access to a college degree.
For information about admittance or financial aid, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 920-459-6633.