Area businesses invited to learn more about China
The University of Wisconsin-Sheboygan is offering its faculty’s expertise in history, culture, language and religion in an effort to provide area businesses and working professionals with the skills and information they need to expand their business and sales successfully in the People’s Republic of China.
This spring, UW-Sheboygan’s Center for Engagement Learning (CEL) will offer the special Introductory Workshop “Business in China: Are You Ready?” with Dr. Donald Beane, UW-Sheboygan political science instructor, on February 25 at 2:15 p.m. A second presentation of this workshop will be offered on March 22 at 8 a.m. Both sessions will be held on the UW-Sheboygan campus (ACUITY Building, Room 1202). The fee for this intro workshop, which will serve as a precursor to the scheduled more in-depth five-session series on China, will be $25.
This intro workshop will provide a solid review of how China’s language, history, culture, religion, ethics, politics and demographics have an interrelated effect on business outcomes.
The presentation will serve as a foray on what attendees can learn from CEL’s upcoming series of expanded workshops, “Preparing for Business in China.” The series will be offered in April and May.
This 10-hour professional training program, which will be accredited with 1 CEU, will offer valuable, in-depth information on China’s history, belief systems, religion, language, economy and political system, and how all of these can impact the work place, commodity production and sales in this growing economic superpower.
Five workshops will be featured, including:
• “China’s History in the Making” with Dr. Mark Karau, UW-Sheboygan Assistant Professor of History, on April 7 from 9:30-11:45 a.m.
• “A World View: A Detailed Examination of China’s Belief Systems,” with Dr. Richard Edwards, UW-Sheboygan Instructor of Philosophy and Religious Studies, on April 14, from 2:30-4:45 p.m.
• “The Chinese Language: Use, Understanding and Symbolism,” with Jinny Lourigan, BSc, UW-Sheboygan Instructor of Chinese Language, on April 21 from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
• “China’s 21st Century Economic Revolution” with Dr. Donald Beane, UW-Sheboygan Political Science instructor, on April 25 from 2:30-4:45 p.m.
• “China’s Political and Social Systems,” with Dr. Donald Beane, UW-Sheboygan Political Science instructor, on May 2 from 2:30-4:45 p.m.
The fee for the entire five-session series is $289. A $25 credit is available to those who take the introductory presentation “Business in China: Are You Ready?”
Early registration is encouraged. To register, contact the Center for Engagement Learning at (920) 459-6617 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about these courses or to be added to the Center for Engagement Learning mailing list, please call the CEL Office at (920) 459-6617 or e-mail email@example.com.